The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and Walmart Foundation are proud to offer financial assistance to outstanding students who will be incoming freshmen at one of the 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) within the TMCF member-school network. The TMCF |Walmart Foundation First Generation Scholars Program is open to graduating high school seniors with a minimum 2.5 GPA. Selected scholars will receive a campus mentor and a one-year merit scholarship of up to $6,200 for the 2017-2018 academic school year, which will be used to cover the costs of tuition and fees, on-campus room and board and required textbooks purchased from member-schools. The funds are applied in the fall and spring semesters at $3,100 per semester.
A first-generation college student is defined as a student whose parent(s)/legal guardian(s) and siblings do not have a college degree. This means that you are the first in your family to attend a college/university and attain a bachelor’s degree.
- Be a first-generation college student
- Be a citizen of the United States
- Be a graduating high-school senior/incoming college freshman
- Be accepted to and prepared to attend one of TMCF’s 47 member-schools
- Have a grade point average of 2.5 or higher in high school
- Be recommended by a high school counselor
- Have demonstrated financial need through the completion of the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
- Have demonstrated leadership ability through a variety of measures
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience)
- 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Current high school transcript (unofficial or official, GPA must show on transcript)
- Recommendation from current high school counselor or faculty member
- Essay: In a minimum of 500 words, please address the following question:
- What does it mean to be the first person in your family to receive a college degree? What impact would this scholarship have on your education?
How to Apply
To apply, click the button below and create or login to your TMCF Account. Once you have signed up or logged in, you can complete the TMCF | Walmart Foundation First-Generation Scholarship application. The deadline is June 4, 2017, 11:59pm EST.