The Thurgood Marshall College Fund (TMCF) and Ford Motor Company Fund are proud to offer financial assistance to graduating high school seniors who plan to attend one of the 47 publicly-supported Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) within the TMCF member-school network. The TMCF | Ford Blue Oval Scholarship is open only to African American male students with a minimum 3.0 GPA. Selected scholars will receive a one-year merit scholarship of $6,200 for the 2017-2018 academic school year, which will be used to cover the costs of tuition and fees, on-campus room and board and required textbooks purchased from member schools. The funds are applied in the fall and spring semesters at $3,100 per semester. Students must meet the following minimum criteria to apply for the scholarship:
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Be enrolled as a full-time freshman student at one of TMCF’s 47 member schools for the 2017-2018 academic year.
- Be an African-American Male High School Senior
- Current grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Demonstrate financial need
- Have demonstrated leadership ability through a variety of measures
- U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident with valid permanent resident card or passport stamped I-551
To complete your application, please submit the following supporting documents:
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience)
- 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA)
- Most recent transcript (unofficial or official transcript)
- Recommendation Letter from current school faculty member
- Essay: in a minimum of 500 words, please address the following questions:
- What do you think will be the most challenging aspect of transitioning from high school to college? How will you overcome that challenge? What is your motivation to do so? Please be as descriptive as possible.
Documents must be in PDF format only. Only completed applications will be considered.
How to Apply