In partnership with the National Basketball Association (NBA), Thurgood Marshall College Fund is proud to administer the David J. Stern Scholarship Program, which will provide a talented and enthusiastic student the opportunity to enhance his or her studies at a college or university of his or her choice, including any one of the nation’s 4-year Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).
The recipient will receive a 3-year renewable scholarship at $10,000 per year (for a total not to exceed $30,000). He or she will also have the opportunity to apply to intern at the NBA league office (dependent upon eligibility) as a rising senior and will receive direct mentorship from Commissioner Emeritus David Stern.
- Enrolled full-time at a four-year college or university.
- Open to all majors with an interest in sports.
- Classified as a sophomore as of the beginning of Fall 2017.
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale and maintains such grade point average in each contract year in which the student receives a scholarship.
- Recipients must meet certain GPA and conduct requirements each academic year to remain eligible for renewal.
- Renewable scholarship is defined as: tuition plus all mandatory fees, room & board factoring in other available non-loan resources.
- The scholarship awarded each year will be determined on the basis of merit.
- Resume (include community service, leadership and employment/internship experience).
- 2017-2018 Student Aid Report (received from filing FAFSA).
- Most recent transcript (unofficial or official transcript that includes GPA).
- Essay: in a minimum of 500 words, please address the following:
- Sports teach many important lessons including teamwork, leadership and discipline. How have you embodied these qualities in your academics, on your team (if possible) and in your community?
- Describe what impact this scholarship will have on your education (financial need or otherwise).
How to Apply
This application is closed.