This program will offer a one-year scholarship to students selected as Apple HBCU Scholars. This award will be applied to the scholars’ final year of study. More importantly, each class of scholars will receive an opportunity to develop key skills to enhance their resumes and help launch their careers through the hands-on experience gained at one of the top tech companies in the world.
These scholars will have the opportunity to:
- Be awarded up to $25,000 (scholarship) for their senior year of study
- Participate in a summer internship with Apple in Cupertino, California
- Participate in a year-round development program to prepare for post-graduation careers
- Be paired with an Apple employee mentor during their senior year
- Serve as Ambassadors on their HBCU campuses to build awareness for the Apple and TMCF Diversity Initiative
- Participate in the Apple HBCU Immersion experience in Cupertino, California during the spring of 2016
This highly competitive program targets students majoring in specific disciplines. The selection process aims to assess critical soft skills that enable success in our program, coupled with technical ability. We’re looking for individuals that exhibit both a technical and cultural fit:
- Analytical ability
- Ability to articulate ideas
- Ability to learn new concepts
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Highly motivated
- Persuasive and candid
- Focused on results
- Team player
- Possesses sound judgment and critical thinking skills
- Business, Communications, Computer Science, Information Science/Technology, Mathematics, Public Relations and/or Engineering (electrical, mechanical, computer science, or materials science) major
- Enrolled full-time at a four-year accredited HBCU/PBI (Predominately Black Institution)
- Currently in the second-to-last year of study, graduating in May/June of 2017. This means Juniors or Seniors pursuing a fifth year of study.
- Cumulative GPA of at least 3.30 (transcript required – unofficial transcripts accepted)
- Prior internship experience strongly preferred (e.g., major-related project work, Hackathon, coding, etc.)
- Prior leadership experience (e.g., participation in STEM clubs, campus organizations, etc.)
Scholar Expectations (including, but not limited to the following):
- Able to participate in all program-related activities
- Willing and able to spend summer in Cupertino, California
- Must remain in good academic standing
- Must not have any disciplinary infractions on academic record
- Successfully complete all program requirements
- Utilize Apple technology (e.g., MacBook, iPhone, etc.)
- Serve as post-internship Apple Ambassadors
How to Apply
The application for the Apple HBCU Scholars Program is now closed. It will open this year in August of 2016.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have created an FAQ page with answers to common questions.
You are being sent to the page. If not, visit the page manually.